Tony's Goblins get even more recruits in this brand new online build.
To supplement my existing collection of Goblin Cacadores and to include some additional Goblins for the soon to be released revised Bridge on the River Que supplement I ordered a pack of 1st Cacadores (53001). This is a record of how they were based, painted and varnished.
The four goblins arrived quickly and very well packed.
The castings were very crisp and although they needed a small amount of cleaning-up, I was very impressed by the quality.
Throughout this tutorial I will be showing step-by-step images of both the whole group of four Goblins and this miniature in the hope that it will make things a little clearer.
After the castings had been cleaned up and odd pieces of metal flash had been removed, I sanded the bases flat and superglued them on to 2 pence coins.
The bases were built-up with standard Grey/Green Milliput. Has anyone else noticed that Milliput has changed – this batch was much smoother to use and had a slight yellow tinge when mixed up.
Once the bases were fully set, I added some sieved sand over a thin coat of uPVA glue.
I felt that the figures needed some Green Stuff work, adding some substance to the rifles and building up the trousers.
The figures were basecoated with a Black spray paint (a rattle-can bought from Poundland for £1.00) and touched-up with Games Workshop Chaos Black acrylic paint.
As with all of my Flintloque miniatures I started with the flesh areas first, being green-skinned the colours are a little different but the technique is the same. I started with a rough first coat of Foundry Forest Green (26B) and built up the subsequent flesh tones by adding Warzone Venuzian Green (a light Yellow/Green that is no longer available). When dry I washed the flesh areas with Citadel Thraka Green and tidied up the Chaos Black areas prior to taking the photos.
In these images you can see that I have moved ahead a little further than is ideal for a tutorial. The brown uniform colour is a mix of Vallejo Game Colour Charred Brown with a touch of GW Chaos Black and a drop of Vallejo GC Bloody Red. The uniform colour is then highlighted with GW Snakebite Leather.
The black trim is Chaos Black highlighted with Chaos Black/Foundry Charcoal Black (34B).
The Blue cuffs are a mix of GW Midnight Blue and GW Regal Blue, with just a tiny touch of Skull White added for the final highlight.
Show the rear of the figures and how the knapsacks were painted with GW Chaos Black and Foundry Charcoal Black.
The main painting finished. I have used GW metallic for the metal parts which I feel are some of the very best paints available and highlighted them in the same manner as non-metallic or normal acrylic paints.
The bases have been painted in my usual colour scheme of GW Snakebite Leather, highlighted with Snakebite and Skull White. The odd stone has been picked out in dark Grey and highlighted with added white.
Varnishing. First a coat of Ronseal Gloss Varnish, then three coats of Galleria Matt Varnish (into which I have added some Tamiya Matt Medium).
The green static grass if sprinkled over uPVA glue and when dry the excess is blown off.
In summary – I am pleased with both these and my earlier Goblin Cacadores, but still feel that I could have captured the green skin tones better. I should also thank Billybonesworkshop for the inspiration. His beautifully painted Goblin Cacadores that appeared on e-bay earlier this year are some of the very best painted Flintloque figures I have ever seen.
An Orcs in the Webbe Exclusive! "Online Build - A Quartet of Goblins" was written exclusively for Orcs in the Webbe and published on Friday 14th December 2012 as part of the 2012 Advent Calendar.